My last blog, ‘Away from it all” was based on a line from ‘The Goofy Movie’. This blog is based on the classic children’s story – The Jungle Book. My favourite character from that movie was the big, cuddly bear Baloo. One of the best parts in the movie is when he sings ‘Bear Necessities’ to Mowgli and that is where this blog comes in.
- The most obvious thing is a good, reliable Desktop computer or Laptop. Having updated software is also important. You never know what kind of projects you may get, so the best thing to do is be prepared!
- A concise plan. I had a teacher in Matric that constantly used to nag us with the saying “Fail to plan and you plan to fail“. Being young, naive and thinking I knew everything, I didn’t realize how right she was. You need to plan your VA trip before you set out on your journey. A good set of goals and objectives will get you prepared for the long journey.
- Contracts and pricing structure. One of my biggest mistakes was jumping in to being a VA without setting up my contracts and decide on the pricing on my services. I ended up having to do quotes on the spot and charging too little. Having your prices printed out and in easy access will save you time, frustration and money.
- Website and email address. In the beginning it is a lot more cost effective to have a Gmail address and a yoursite.wordpress.com site. There is nothing wrong with having these in the beginning. As your business begins to grow, make it official, get that domain and get an email that shows where you are from.
- Some kind of Cloud space. I use both DropBox and Google Drive. The reason for this being is it makes it easier to share files with your clients and it is also a great back up space for your documents. I had a situation once where I thought my PC had given up on me, I paniced as I had important files that I was working on and if I lost them, life would have become a lot more difficult. By having your documents and work on cloud space you can always access them, no matter what.
What are some of the things you think each new Virtual Assistant should get for their office?